Eudora Community Museum
Museum and History Overview
The Eudora Area Historical Society operates the Eudora Community Museum. The Eudora Community Museum’s exhibits and displays explore all of the themes relating to the history of the Eudora Area. The community of Eudora was first established by German immigrants in 1857. The German immigrants purchased the town-site from a Shawnee tribal Chief named Paschal Fish. The German immigrants decided to name the town “Eudora” in honor of Paschal Fish’s 8-year-old daughter Eudora Fish. Native Americans lived in the Eudora Area for thousands of years before the establishment of Eudora in 1857. Tribes that lived in the Eudora Area include the Kansa, Shawnee, and Delaware tribes. The Eudora community was strategically situated near the Oregon Trail. The Eudora Area had substantial Jewish and Black communities in the 19th century. The Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant opened just east of Eudora in 1943. The Sunflower Plant employed thousands of people, and it triggered significant growth in the Eudora Area.
About our Museum Building
The Eudora Community Museum is located at 720 Main Street in downtown Eudora. 720 Main Street was first built in 1866 by German immigrants. 720 Main Street was donated to the EAHS by the Trefz family in 2013. The EAHS has extensively rehabilitated 720 Main Street, investing the equivalent of $740,000 into the property. 720 Main Street is listed on the State Register of Historic Places.
Visit Historic Downtown Eudora!
Please visit historic Downtown Eudora! In addition to our museum, downtown Eudora is home to a number of shops, restaurants, and parks. We are proud of the 21 bronze plaques that we have installed on historic buildings in downtown Eudora. Each bronze plaque details the history of their respective building.
EAHS Mission Statement
The Eudora Area Historical Society preserves and maintains the history of the city and township of Eudora and the surrounding communities of Clearfield, Fall Leaf, Hesper, Prairie Center, and Weaver.
The EAHS also maintains an extensive archival collection. The Archives are open to the public during the standard hours of operation. Collections within the Archives include virtually all Eudora-based newspapers since the 1890s, thousands of photographs, yearbooks, correspondence, genealogy, and books relating to Eudora and Kansas history.
If you are interested in becoming a member, please print and fill out an EAHS Membership Form and mail the form to:
Eudora Area Historical Society
PO Box 158
Eudora, KS 66025
Ben Terwilliger, Executive Director
To view the Newsletter, please click on the link below: