City Management Internship
Examples of Projects and Responsibilities
The projects that you will work on will be unique to your past experience, skills and interests. A part of being in city management is being flexible and responding to the needs of your community and your commission. For recurring responsibilities, do something different, bring your own ideas into the project, and add your ideas to what is already happening.
Listed below are some past and possible projects assigned to the Management Intern:
- Manage the City's external communications including website content, social media presence, weekly email newsletter, and monthly printed newsletter
- Act as staff liaison to committees and/or boards
- Create the City's Annual Report
- Research, create, and present policies for adoption by Commission
- Develop economic development strategies for growth and support of Eudora businesses
- Grant writing
- Enrolled in or recently graduated from a Masters of Public Administration program
- Ability to organize, direct, and coordinate projects and meetings
- Ability to handle sensitive, confidential information appropriately
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple demands and balance competing priorities
- Ability to work independently after receiving instructions and guidance
- Basic mathematical skills
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public, elected officials, vendors, employees, and citizens
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and related applications
The Eudora City Management Internship is advertised each winter, the internship runs from summer through spring every year. Interns are able to begin as early as June and as late as early August. The position is a one-year, part-time, paid internship in the City Manager's Office.
Interns are paid $13.00 per hour.
Past Interns: Where are they now?
- 2012 - 2013: Barack Matite; City Manager, Eudora, KS
- 2015 - 2016: Kelly Dumais; Project Coordinator in Physical Development Division, Dakota County, MN
- 2016 - 2017: Jason Rohloff; Budget Analyst, Eau Claire, WI
- 2017: Nicole Macias; Senior Executive Budget and Policy Analyst, Santa Fe, NM
- 2018: Penny Holler; Management Analyst, Lawrence, KS
- 2018 - 2019: Amie Young; Cookingham-Noll Fellow, Kansas City, MO
- 2019 - 2020: Jeffery Rhodes; Management Analyst, City of Eudora, KS
- 2020 - 2021: Lauren Freeman; Current Management Fellow