Public Safety Information
- Address numbers must be visible from the street.
- Address numbers should be placed on a contrasting background, with a reflective coating on the numbers for easy visibility at night.
- Repair or replace aging address number placards, especially on mailboxes that are a distance from the front of the residence.
- Tend to any bushes, tree limbs or other growth that has covered your address numbers.
- Address numbers should be placed on or beside the front door. If your door is not easily seen from the street, put the numbers on a post, fence or tree at the driveway entrance so they can be clearly seen from the street. In addition to address numbers on the front door of your house, if you have a rural-style mailbox, reflective and contrasting numbers should be placed on both sides of the box so they can be seen by an emergency vehicle approaching from either direction.
- In Case of Evacuation
- Listen to a battery-powered radio for the location of emergency shelters.
- Follow instructions of local officials.
- Wear protective clothing and sturdy shoes.
- Take your Disaster Supplies Kit.
- Lock your home.
- Use travel routes specified by local officials.
Crime Prevention Tips
- Keep vehicles locked with the windows rolled up when unattended.
- Do not leave valuable items in plain sight in your vehicle.
- Keep your home’s exterior well lit.
- If your street light is not working report it to the proper agency.
- Keep doors, windows, and garages locked when out of your home.
- Make sure any spare keys are in a safe and reliable place.
- If you see or hear unusual activity, call the police immediately. Provide detailed descriptions of persons and vehicles involved.
- Keep doors in your vehicle locked when you are driving.
- Keep gates in the yard closed
- If you own an outdoor shed mount a spot light at the highest point of the shed out of reach that is motion activated.
- If you have good neighbors let them know when you are going to be out of town, and notify the Police Department for an occasional watch to be placed on the house including a contact person in something is needed.
- And if you are out and see something that looks suspicious or not right to you turn around and go the other direction or at least change to the other side of the street.